Thursday, October 1, 2015

A Day Late and a Dollar Short
     It's been several years since I posted in this blog. It never occurred to me to post after I moved on from serving as Mrs. Michigan in 2012. It wasn't until my prophylactic double mastectomy in 2014 that the idea of blogging again interested me. I was recovering in the hospital when a nurse mentioned she found my blog. She was inspired by the advocacy I had participated with regarding diabetes and autism. Apparently, she too struggled with the same things I found challenging with my special needs children. There I was, in a hospital bed. I was on a lot of pain killers after a 10 hour surgery looking absolutely disheveled, awful and helpless when a nurse came in to tell me I inspired her. Of all the places in the world I could ever imagine hearing this message, it certainly was not in my hospital recovery room. My surgery took place in South Carolina (more on that later.) It really became abundantly clear to me in a very short time that the south really does take a lot of interest in their state pageant queens. I had heard of this, but certainly never experienced it before. We just don't get that in the north, so I wasn't expecting any interest in anyone "finding me on the internet." I was glad to be able to relate to my nurse and share our experiences with raising a special needs child. In my mental fog during recovery, I  immediately felt a peace. It was another affirmation that my advocacy for these kiddos was worth something. I knew that it wasn't falling on deaf ears. I think it was a message from God, to keep pushing forward. What I said, what we ALL say as special needs parents MATTERS! It was the nurses who inspired me through my stay. I don't know how they do what they do! Caring for patients who are so incredibly dependent upon them at that time. Staying up all through the night and working... I could never do that. Thank you nurses for your care! Still, I had a lot of healing to do after this day. I focused on regaining my strength and all of the mental healing that goes along with getting a bilateral mastectomy. So, this eventually slipped the front of  my mind.
     Time went on and I focused on my healing and continued to focus on my children. I just couldn't ignore the silent "tap" on my shoulder. I believe there are times when the Holy Spirit calls on us to do something. You will hear the silent whisper in your ear until you actually do it. I realized that even though my time serving our state as Mrs. Michigan has passed, I have a deep understanding for what it is like to raise special needs children.  Perhaps I am called to share my story so that it might help someone else. Even if it helps one person, it is worth the time spent typing away here at this keyboard. Lord knows, there are people who have shared their story with me and it has completely changed my life and the lives of my children! Thank God for you!
     I titled this blog entry "A Day Late and a Dollar Short"  because I meant to write this yesterday as it was National Previvor Day. I was diagnosed with the BRCA 2 Gene Mutation in May of 2012. I really wanted to post about my journey yesterday as it seemed fitting to start blogging again on such an important day in the lives of those who carry this gene mutation. However, I also have special needs kids. If you have special needs kids too, you know that most things don't get done exactly how you would like them or when you would like them to. Your attention and money goes to them first, always. So here I am, a day late and a dollar short. A saying my Dad used often before I lost him to lung cancer 2 years ago. A lot has changed since my last blog spot. Both for the good and for the worse. What has held strong and steady is my unwavering love and adoration for my God, husband, children and my family. They are the reason I exist. I'm exited to share my BRCA journey with you in the future, my bought with Carcinoid Cancer and coming out a survivor, and my ups and downs with my children having type one diabetes, autism and apraxia of speech. You'll also find me chatting about this journey of mine with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. God Bless you! Stay strong in Christ.

No comments: